Monday, July 8, 2013

Day Fjor at SI

We’re in the zone now. All of us are vibing together and I can see things and write better. It is a very comfortable environment and productive, it makes me realize the importance of this for our regular classes. It is tough to create that feeling- I think that it takes openness, a relative disregard for regulations and rules and a focus on what is actually right for that particular class at that particular moment. We studied revision tactics today, on multiple levels, accidentally coordinated. The oddity of revising something and being okay with an outcome worse than what you started with is a tough cat to tango with. Later in the day we looked at our own Frankensteins of digital narratives—creations which all had their individual quirks and set-ups, which at the time I was thinking wouldn’t be worth the time and trouble given all the varying technological demands, but in the end it was really neat to see so many different perspectives. Also, the satisfaction of actually getting mine to work made me quite happy. There was something very personal about having a picture of my daily screen activity shared with people and it did tell a brief story of my life. I don’t know if I’ll attempt this ‘digital storytelling’ feat with my students because of all the possible tech snags, but it did broaden my horizons on possibilities of narratives. Finally, my first attempt at crock-pot chicken yielded delicious lunch results, although I think I may have had one too many gluten free cookies because after lunch my stomach was not happy, and it was tough to concentrate. But, other than that, everything was spectacular.

4 comments:

  1. Writing is grand! I really enjoy the SI environment too, but I wonder if I have become too VAIN in my effort to prove myself as a writer to the world....because I always feel like my writing is good. I have noticed that my sons seem to act the SAME way when they write. We will change things, but we have some egos that need to be tamed! We are not cocky but we are full of confidence! Headliner: IBS is on the rise. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really zeroed in on your Frankenstein connection! That's a pretty great description... it seems like so much pressure, to put this work out there, and all these things don't go quite right, but somehow there is still a gallery crawl and somekind of communal work is still done. And the frankensteining is really part of that feeling of togetherness I think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image on your blog is really speaking to me. I love the idea of learning rules to break and bend them--as great artist do. I think this is what Wendy may be speaking of when she talks about students finding their own voice as opposed to writing structured, dry responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly agree about the tango with the cat. I want my revisions to make it better--don't we all. The technology time was perfect for me as I was forced to relate to my students' frustrations

    ReplyDelete