Tuesday, July 2, 2013

1st day

On The one hand Our summer institute covered a lot of ground during the first day, although it did seem too vague for my taste. I really want in-depth instruction and practice with specific tactics that are more than surface exercises, for example I want to practice teaching revision or a specific style. I love being back in the classroom after a month of Summer, but I want my time to matter more, I want to make specific improvements and practice more and reflect less. Right now I am inundated with theory and reflection but starved for action. I really don't think I have any room left in my mind for more talk, more of the same conversations, I want some real movement with my craft. After a year of tutoring theory and teaching writing theory to go with all of the other theory classes I have taken, it these conversations and repeating exercises seem to waft over my mind. But on the other hand I really like being able to have the freedom to write what I like, it's rare that I am allowed to any more between time constraints or requirements for some class.This was very useful in understanding student motivation. Also, these recurring practices help me to memorize ideas and understand what I am trying to get students to find, and see how other Professors, teachers, or doctors go about this process. Some start by spiraling around the issues and eventually creating something in the sum total of this spiraling reality, others directly attack specifics and then weave them all together. Beginning with open exercises that help us get to know the other people we are around is paramount to meaningful interaction.

1 comment:

  1. You are saying something very complicated about the relationship of theory and practice--theory is what guides practices (whether we are aware of them or not) and practices are important for being in the world. In school, theory is often paramount because schools are reflective places that are there to critique the common sense practices of daily life. Yet if we don't experience and engage in new practices, then we aren't "doing" things in the world, not "being" in the world in new ways. You have me thinking about how I might as a teacher begin in practice and move out rather than focusing on theory and move to practice.

    ReplyDelete